Monday, November 1, 2010

Random Political Analogy: Godzilla is to the Smog Monster as Obama is to the Tea Party GOP



I couldn't resist. The right wing echo chamber, a demobilized Left, and the noxious populism of the New Right made the analogy an obvious one. But then again, I am one of those self-admitted "elitists."

I am going to try my best to write something on Tuesday's Election Day massacre political fubar coronation of the stupid classes, but I am more of a mind that folks should just look away. Just avert your eyes as though you were at the proverbial urinal which is the cloaca gentium that is American politics at the dawn of the 21st century. The New Right and the vox populi Tea Party set only get more powerful when we pay undo attention to them. But then again, I can't turn away from a good car wreck.

Obama and the Democrats inherited a mess, a true pile of hot steaming monkey pooh in 2008. But dude wanted the job and as Truman famously said, "the buck stops here." Obama's test post-election day will now be how he snatches victory from the bitter ashes of defeat. True, the mating of the Tea Party and the GOP could result in a Pyrrhic victory of historic proportions wherein the former makes the latter a party utterly incapable of coherent governance. But that would be hoping for too much. And ultimately, a further loggerhead will do more to hurt all of us, even as it allows for partisan crowing.

We know that the pundit classes are predicting a Republican Tea Party sweep tomorrow. But what do you think will happen? Are things going to be as bad--or perhaps even worse--for the Democrats than even the most bullish pollsters are signaling?

5 comments:

Paul Sunstone said...

Yes, I think it will happen. I also think that it will bring on no ordinary trouble for us.

CareyCarey said...

Well Chauncey, stupid is what stupid does, and since I don't consider myself THAT stupid, I don't know what they will do, nor what's going to happen. I'm just trying to keep hope alive.

But your opening was another masterful stroke of "that brother is crazy" like good crazy.

"I am going to try my best to write something on Tuesday's Election Day massacre political fubar coronation of the stupid classes, but I am more of a mind that folks should just look away. Just avert your eyes as though you were at the proverbial urinal which is the cloaca gentium that is American politics at the dawn of the 21st century. The New Right and the vox populi Tea Party set only get more powerful when we pay undo attention to them. But then again, I can't turn away from a good car wreck"

Election Day massacre political fubar coronation of the stupid classes... and look straight forward while you're peeing *lol*. Man, how do come up with those phrases? I'm stealing those 2.

And the Godzilla reference... that was good. Now, if I know anything about Godzilla, and I don't know much, I'd bet that ol'Smog Monster bit the dust. I think Godzilla is still around, so we will have to see how your analogy plays out.

Where is Paul Harvey when we need him? I'm waitng for "the rest of the story"

Anonymous said...

I Love your blog. . . I live in Florida. Enough said. Just when I felt like crying, your post has me laughing out loud. Seriously . . I agree things are going to get a little (I hope it is little) rough before they get better. I hope our complacency will die with this new political cycle. Suit up brothers and sisters! We've got to put this devil back down in the hole.

chaunceydevega said...

@Paul--No ordinary trouble...I like that line, it would be a good refrain for a song. Got any more lyrics or a stanza perhaps?

@Carey--I miss Paul Harvey, unenlightened rube that he was. But a good rube.

@Anon--Thanks, we like you too. Hope you come back again.

Paul Sunstone said...

I wish I had a stanza or two for you, Chauncey, but nothing's coming to me at the moment. I might ask, "O sweet and gentle muse! Where the hell is your butt?"